Hello everyone! As some of you may recall, I have been on my Keto journey since about a month now. And as per my last update, I had lost about 4 kgs. That was when I was about 10 days into this ‘lifestyle’. A lot of changes and updates have taken place in the days following that. These changes have been in the form of the food that I have consumed, the changes I have experienced in my body, both externally and internally and the overall gaining and losing of actual weight that has been taking place. To know more about this, please keep on reading.
In the spirit of full disclosure, I would like to say here that this past month I was forced to have ‘cheat’ meals and ‘cheat’ days. Forced by circumstances. I had to go for a mini vacation to Miami to attend my best friend’s wedding reception. I realised that I could not have managed to eat my keto friendly food in such a social setting. So, I decided to let it loose for those two days and ate what everyone was eating, albeit in moderate quantities. When I came back home and weighed myself, I had gained a little above a kilogram of weight. But I wasn’t too bummed about it.
I figured if I wanted this to be a lifestyle, I couldn’t be too harsh on myself for swaying a little.
Though, ideally it should be that way. You should not even have ‘cheat’ meals, and here i had ‘cheat’ days!
Anyway, there are too many positives in this for me to keep brooding about the cheating!
WHAT IS MY PROGRESS TILL NOW ON KETO
- Even after gaining that one kg while in Miami, I lost that weight very quickly again. I knew my body may go through the ‘Keto flu’ again and I was prepared for that. I kept myself hydrated and tried to maintain my electrolyte balance. So losing that one kg wasn’t difficult at all.
- Under a normal/usual diet, our body processes glucose for energy whereas during ketosis, the body breaks down ketones. Scientifically, the energy produced by breaking down 1g of ketones is much much higher that the energy produced by breaking down of glucose. In simple terms, this means that I have way more energy in my body than I ever had! I am energetic all through the day and have had no lethargic episodes whatsoever.
- My sleep pattern has improved a lot! For the longest time, I have been on the verge of being an insomniac. This meant that I wasn’t able to fall asleep easily and really had to work on my mind and surroundings to bring about sleep. That was before keto. Now I sleep like a baby! This means waking up each day with immense amount of energy and positive mood!
- My mood has been on a hike! My usual mood is ‘happy‘ now. A few days back, I caught myself dancing on the song ‘Dil deewana bin sajna ke maane na’ from the movie ‘Maine Pyar Kiya’. It was hilarious.
- With all the extra energy that I have these days, I feel I am being more productive. I get more stuff done in the day without feeling tired at all.
- Eating more fats and less carbs has translated to ‘bloating-less‘ days for me! I feel lighter and much more at ease.
- Being on keto has helped me heal my body in terms of PCOS. I have dealt with irregular menstruation since a couple of years now, but a little more than a month into keto has brought me my rhythm back! More on that later.
I hope this progress report will motivate some of you to read more about this lifestyle.
I will keep posting my updates on this space. More recipes are on their way too!
Till next time,