Hello everyone! I hope each one of you reading this are in the best of health and spirits! Today I am going to share with you a recipe that I make in my kitchen about twice a month! Spicy noodles. Yes! These yummy spicy noodles are a quick treat and can be prepared on those lazy nights. Apart from being really delicious and flavorful, these noodles are very versatile too. the ingredients can be modified as per you preference too. You can add some sautéed chicken or any other meat or veggies that you like.
As I mentioned earlier, I make this dish quite often. There are two reasons for this. Firstly, they remind me of the street food that I used to hog on back home in India. If you have been following my blog, you would know by now that I love Indo-chinese recipes. Check out how simple these chicken dumplings are! These spicy noodles is one of those dishes that we get as street food in India. Though we can get Indian style noodles here in Indian restaurants, I still haven’t been able to find a restaurant that makes noodles the way I crave. So I had to take matters in my own hands and in my own kitchen!
Secondly, this dish is so healthy and quick that I reserve this for days when I am craving for some spice but do not want to spend more than 20 minutes in the kitchen. Most of these 20 minutes involve cutting and chopping the vegetables rather than standing in front of the burner, which is another point to be marveled! Now let me explain how I make this the healthy way. Firstly, I use wheat noodles. You can easily buy them from the Asian store. If you cant find an Asian store, you can even use wheat spaghetti for this. Secondly, I use lots of fresh veggies for this. I have seen a few recipes where the veggies are fried separately and then everything is assembled and cooked together. I don’t do that. I saute the vegetables all together in about 2-3 tsp oil and then add the pre-boiled noodles. I like my veggies a little crunchy. If you don’t like them crunchy and want to cook them all the way through, you can microwave the veggies for 4-5 minutes (depending on the wattage of your microwave) till they get about 70% cooked.
Without further ado, lets see what we need to make my spicy noodles!
1 pack wheat noodles/ spaghetti
1 medium sized onion, sliced
1 ½ cup broccoli florets
2 cups cabbage, sliced
½ cup green beans, diced
1 ½ cup bell peppers, diced
1 ½ cup mushrooms, diced
A bunch of spring onions, chopped (white and green parts separated)
2 tbsp chopped garlic
1-2 green chilles, chopped
1 tsp salt (or as per taste)
½ tsp black pepper powder
2 tsp red chilli sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp vinegar
3 tsp oil
• Boil the noodles as per the instructions on the pack. Keep the noodles about 90% done. Drain them before they turn mushy! This is very important!
• In a large wok, heat the oil. Add the garlic and sauté for 20 seconds. Add the onions, white parts of green onions and green chillies and sauté for another 1 minute.
• Now add all the vegetables and mix well. Keep the flame high. Add salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes. Don’t cover the wok while doing this. If you do that, the veggies may lose water and become mushy and soggy. Alternatively, if you want your vegetables to be cooked all the way through, microwave them before putting in the wok.
• Add the soya sauce and the red chilli sauce. Mix well. Immediately add the boiled noodles and mix. Cook for another 2 minutes.
• Garnish with green onions and serve hot!
This recipe would be sufficient for 2-3 people. Another thing worth mentioning is that if using a wok makes a huge difference. I don’t know why that is, but it is the truth!
I hope you would try my favorite spicy noodles and i hope you enjoy these as much as i do! If you do, share your experiences with me!
Don’t forget to comment!
Till next time! Happy cooking..