Hello everyone! Welcome to my blog! Today I am going to share with you all how and why I made this moist, decadent and soft chocolate cake with some more chocolate-ey goodness in the form of frosting!
Off late I have noticed that my baking bug is growing with each passing day! I think about making my next cake right after baking one! But I am not complaining. I am happy and my husband is happy. In fact he is behaving like a proud mommy these past few days! Everywhere he goes, he doesn’t let one chance go by him where he doesn’t talk about my food and my blog! He is being more like my manager these days! Well, once again, I am not complaining!
So I have been motivated to cook stuff that pleases him! He loves chocolate and that’s a good enough excuse for me to not think any further! Why let go a chance to eat chocolate! His only critique every time I make a cake is that he wants it ‘moist’, just like we get in India from his favorite bakery. So I started searching the web for a good and EASY recipe! And I found just the perfect one. This recipe is a no fuss, easy and quick recipe which gets you a chocolate cake done under 2 hours including the frosting and assembling! Beat that! It is unbelievably soft, chocolate-ey and with a hint of espresso. That’s right. The magic ingredient is the coffee. The coffee enhances the flavor of the chocolate while baking. So by adding it, while you will get a better chocolate taste, you will probably not get any taste of coffee. Think of the coffee here as an ‘enhancer’! The frosting again is also very simple and very quick to make.
For this recipe you will need two 9 inch cake pans.
This recipe has been adapted from Joyofbaking.com.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CAKE:
2 cups (400 gms) granulated white sugar
1 ¾ cups (245 gms) all purpose flour
¾ cups (75 gms) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup (240 ml) black coffee
1 cup (240 ml) milk
½ cup (120 ml) oil
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
INGREDIENTS FOR FROSTING:
8 ounces (180 gms) of semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate
1 cup (226 gms) unsalted butter at room temperature
2 cups (230 gms) powdered sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
METHOD FOR CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line two 9 inch baking pans with parchment paper place parchment paper only on the bottom of the pan).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs lightly. Add the milk, coffee, oil and vanilla extract and whisk well. The addition of oil will ensure that even if you store the cake in the fridge, the cake will remain soft whereas butter solidifies and makes the cake harder.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix slowly and patiently but make sure not to overmix. Mix just until the ingredients are combined. You may see some lumps in the batter which is alright.
- Now divide the batter into the two pans and bake for 27-32 mins. Every oven is different so you will have to check after 27 mins. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean with a few crumbs stuck to it.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool on wire racks for about 10 mins. Remove from the pans and let them rest while we make the frosting!
METHOD FOR FROSTING:
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave and keep it aside for it to cool down.
- In a bowl, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. You should preferably use a hand mixer for this. Though you can very easily do this by hand also, it will only take a little kore work.
- Now add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Now add the cooled down melted chocolate and mix well. Beat for about 2-3 minutes more until the frosting becomes smooth and glossy.
For assembling the cake, place one cake on a turntable. Put a large blob of the frosting on it and spread evenly with a spatula. Place the other cake layer and place another blob on it and spread evenly and to the sides. Add more as you spread. Smoothen out. You can decorate it with sprinkles or chocolate chips or like me! I melted some more of that chocolate in the microwave and added 2 tsp of milk. Mixed well and poured it over the cake. You can do this with store bought chocolate sauce as well!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and I hope you try it! If I can make this as delicious as it was, so can you!