Hello my lovely readers! The last month has been a pretty happy and interesting one for me. After being in the United States for about 10 months, I finally got a chance to spend a whole month in my motherland – INDIA! I went to all the places I was longing to visit and ate all the food that I had been craving for. Street food, gourmet, sweets, home cooked meals; you name it, I ate it!
So I am back and refreshed and longing to cook again! Last weekend the bananas sitting on the table stared right at me, pinching and urging me to do something with them. What can a foodoholic-cum-bakeoholic think of doing with them? I could help but think of some chocolate banana cupcakes! And boy, did they turn out amazing! Delicious, so easy, so moist and soft! I almost did not believe that I did that! They were wonderful.
All you have to do is take 2 bowls, one for the dry ingredients and one for the wet, mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until well combined and bake! Done! Deliciousness! Also, we would be using oil instead of butter. So when you keep these in the refrigerator, they would not turn hard, they would be moist and soft, almost spongy till about 5 days.
This recipe makes 12 medium sized cupcakes. So here goes the recipe,
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
¾ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 ripe banana
1 large egg
1 cup water (room temperature)
¼ cup oil
¼ cup milk (room temperature)
¾ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F or 180C. Line your cupcake pan with cupcake liners or grease them with butter and flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, take the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well so that there are no lumps in it. Keep aside.
- In another bowl, take the banana and mash it well using a fork or a spoon. Add the egg in it and mix well.
- Now add the room temperature water, oil and milk and give it a good stir so that everything is well combined. Lastly, add the vanilla extract. Try to grab pure vanilla extract for better flavor.
- Pour this wet mixture into the dry mixture. With a wooden spoon, mix them well such that there are no lumps in it and everything is just about well combined. Please do not over-mix.
- Now with the help of an ice cream scoop or a tablespoon or even a measuring cup, pour the batter into the lined baking pan.
- Bake for 18-21 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean. Do not over-bake. Once you take them out of the oven, let them cool down before taking them out of the pan.
- Make sure you enjoy!
That was that! In my humble opinion, it cannot get any easier than that! No mixer required, no fancy equipment or ingredients required!
Just make sure you get a ripe banana because they give the most banana-ey and sweet flavor.
You can make these ahead of a party or just for your own pleasure! Easiest-no fuss cupcakes! They are so moist that you would not even miss any frosting!
Enjoy! Please let me know how it turns out if any of you do try it!